Saturday, November 17, 2018

William Goldman

William Goldman was an American famous Novelist, Playwright, and Screenwriter died on November 16,2018.at the age of 87 in New York city,USA.At first he was famous for as a novelist then become world famous for screenwriter.






He won two Academic Awards for his screenplays,first in 1969 for western Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and again in 1976 for All the President's Men.


William Goldman

 Author Sean Egan had said about Goldman as "one of the late twentieth century's most popular storytellers.Goldman wrote Marathon Man, Magic and The Princess Bride, which he adapted from his own novels in to the films.




In 2000, Goldman said of his writing:
"Someone pointed out to me that the most sympathetic characters in my books always died miserably. I didn't consciously know I was doing that. I didn't. I mean, I didn't wake up each morning and think, today I think I'll make a really terrific guy so I can kill him. It just worked out that way. I haven't written a novel in over a decade... and someone very wise suggested that I might have stopped writing novels because my rage was gone. It's possible. All this doesn't mean a helluva lot, except probably there is a reason I was the guy who gave Babe over to Szell in the "Is it safe?" scene and that I was the guy who put Westley into The Machine. I think I have a way with pain. When I come to that kind of sequence I have a certain confidence that I can make it play. Because I come from such a dark corner."

Awards


He won two Academy Awards: 1) Best Original Screenplay for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and 2) Best Adapted Screenplay for All the President's Men.


He also won two Edgar Awards, from the Mystery Writers of America, for Best Motion Picture Screenplay: for Harper in 1967, and for Magic in 1979.

 In 1985, he received the Laurel Award for Screenwriting Achievement from the Writers Guild of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment